I don't know about you but we seem to be constantly getting contacted by social media gurus trying to sell us their services. Most would have us believe that in this age of digital media, where much of our news is found via the internet, that distributing our company’s news via social media alone is all we need to do to reach our audience.
Now, far be it from me to disagree with the professionals but I really don't agree that news distributed solely on social media would get us anywhere near the attention that we are hoping for, and here's why.
I'm not trying to downplay the power of social media at all, but for many companies like ours, social media channels may not be enough to deliver important messages to the right audiences without spending £000's on something that I'm still to be convinced can actually be measured. The important word more me here is ‘social’ and if your companies message doesn’t quite fit this definition then we think a well written and timely press release, in addition to social media efforts, not only validates online content, it can serve other purposes that a brief social media post couldn’t hope to achieve.
Related post: Jamie Oliver’s 15 Cornwall installs audio device for the blind
Not to far in the past, a press release was the main tool of corporate communications, particularly for B2B companies. The release was distributed by a paid newswire service and coverage could be reasonably expected, at least within the appropriate trade media circles. Today, however, some companies may not even consider a press release when distributing a corporate announcement.
We think that is a big mistake.
A press release—properly crafted and appropriately distributed—can support your company’s news and views in a credible and targeted way that reaches key audiences with messages that matter to them.
We use press releases as a standard part of our promotional activities and they are essential for getting the word out about RoomMate.
A recent installation at Birmingham Airport accompanied by a press release has catapulted the understanding of the plight of VI users in Birmingham onto the front pages, sparking re-prints and radio interviews. All it cost was the time to write the release…
Related: Birmingham Airport becomes the first Airport in mainland UK to trial RoomMate
If done correctly, a press release can achieve the following:
• Help populate search engines with credible and focused messaging on your company and its announcement.
• Provide strategic context for your events or news that can facilitate conversations between your company and its customers.
• Provide proprietary content to bring visitors to your website to find out more about your company and products.
• Serve as a tool to update your clients, prospects and industry peers on your company and its momentum in the space.
Besides the usual press release topics; new staff, promotional activities, new product launches, etc. you can use a press release to demonstrate your company’s market and product expertise, market positioning and what makes you different.
Think about it, with more and more content being freely circulated the impact of that news can only be diluted by the sheer volume.
A press release, however, lets you stand out from the crowd and because it goes through credible, controlled media can be especially effective for the following:
• If you have data or research, you’re ahead of the game. Market and industry data is valuable. If you have solid, credible research, you can use your data to fuel an aggressive media outreach campaign via press release.
• A strong point of view sells. If you have a strong or contrarian point-of-view on a current issue within your industry and how it impacts your audience, your views can be a strong foundation for a fiery press release.
• Timely company updates and reaching milestones showcases a company’s strengths.Updating your audiences on the health of your company by announcing your achievements can support your company’s brand, reputation and positioning.
Social media tools like LinkedIn, Facebook or Twitter have their invaluable place in the modern communications mix. Technology and social media have changed the way companies are doing business, both in how they obtain clients and how they disseminate of information.
And on a final note; the news media empire is still a force to be reckoned with so don’t be like your competitors, realise that with less people using Press Releases the more chance and scope there is for you to have your news published or aired…